The word “budget” packs a punch, especially when it comes to a home renovation budget. Do you know how to plan for your big project? We’ve rounded up the top tips from renovation experts—giving you insight on realistic planning and cost-saving decisions.
Budget Basics: What to consider before crunching numbers, hiring the contractor or buying tile.
- Secure your goals early. Be clear with your must-haves, your dream items and your overall vision.
- Remember: Changes aren’t free.
- Location changes costs. What an online search yields may not be an accurate reflection of the work’s cost in your area.
- Start as early as possible with your contractor.
- Don’t forget about consequential purchases (i.e. a fence may be required around your pool).
- Planned phases can make your dream house come true.
- Budget for what isn’t pretty. Electrical fixes, plumbing upgrades, earthquake retrofitting, drywall and roof repairs aren’t fun, but they risk the pretty finishes when not taken care of properly.
- Do your homework. Congrats! By reading this today you’re already on your way!
Need a little more budget inspiration? Read the story of an Eichler’s renovation—done with budget-savvy choices that have yielded a stunning family home.